Monday, September 16, 2013

The Summer

I used to not want a full week to go by without blogging and now look how I've let this slip. A month and a half! Well, first I started my other blog which divided my blogging attention and then a semi-major shift happened at home.

Preschool (5 mornings a week) stopped for Erin and Noah and suddenly I had them all at home all the time. We went right into homeschooling back in June (sitting around with unstructured days would have driven us all mad) and most of my "free" time has been focused on what to do for homeschooling or just taking a moment to relax.

So what has been going on over the summer? Well, as I said, since June we have been homeschooling. The mornings are preschool time with all three, and then Erin gets Kindergarten time while the boys nap. I have been polishing up our routine (I viewed the summer as more of a practice time for me) and I think we've got a pretty good thing going. The kids seem to like it and I do too.

Prior to right now, I don't think I've mentioned on here that we decided to homeschool. At one point I drafted up a long post as to why we're doing it, but I never posted it. Basically, we have a long list as to why we feel we want to keep our kids out of public school and homeschooling seems to be a good fit for us. We will evaluate year by year if it's what we want to keep doing, but I can certainly see us doing this long term.

Aside from schooling, we took a trip to the beach (Topsail Island, just past Wilmington) in August. We stayed at a house that is owned on Sean's side of the family. Had Luke been a little older, I think it would have been a better trip. There were certain areas of the house we just couldn't child-proof and he was a major headache in the house. Also, he didn't much care for the ocean (water or sand). But we did have good times too, it was basically a mix of wonderful and horrible....

Another event over the summer was back in July when Luke had outpatient surgery to remove a cyst on his chest (actually, you can see the little red scar above his blue collar in the above photo). A few days after the surgery, it started to get infected and it ended up that he had a staph infection. It got pretty nasty, even giving him an actual 1/4 inch in diameter hole in his chest...but all ended well as the antibiotics did their job. That was a scary few days as we didn't know how bad it was going to get (the most common strand of staph infection is very resistant to antibiotics).

Other minor summer events...we just put a new roof on the house and we have committed plans for new windows (yay home ownership!) We went to the Atlanta aquarium back in June, Erin just started a Ballet class and Noah has outgrown his peanut allergy! (although not the tree nut) Oh, and my birthday was yesterday...welcome mid-thirties.

That's about it. Looking forward to a break in the heat as we get into Fall. I hope to pick the blogging back up, but no promises. I have gotten severely slack in taking photos of the kids. But maybe as we have nicer weather it will prompt me to snap a few.

Till then...

No comments: