Monday, June 10, 2013

A big day

When the house is full of yelling children running around (whether because of playing or fighting), I think how nice it would be for a quiet moment. But when I get one, it's always way too quiet and I miss the noise.

Right now both boys are napping and Erin is off on her first day at her week-long summer day camp. She's over on Lake Greenwood and I'm sure she's having a great time.

Aside from her time at preschool, or on the rare occasion that we either travel without the kids or have a night out, she's always with me. When the boys nap, that's our time to do something together (or for her to play independently while I get stuff done - but still, she's around).

So obviously, I miss my little girl who is growing up so fast. She's 5. FIVE! I remember when she was a baby and thinking that someday she would be a 5 year old...that seemed weird and like such a distant future time.

And now here she is, and she's spending some time away from home. Selfishly I don't like it...I want to be a part of everything she does. But I know it doesn't work that way. As the kids grow older, I know I'll have some letting go to do. It's just hard when they start out needing you for everything.

But I guess it's good that it's a gradual transition. They don't go from 3 to 18 overnight.

***

Another reason it's a big day is that it's Noah's first day of potty training. We've been talking to him about it on and off for several weeks now. A couple times I've brought out the little blue potty for him to try.

So far today he has had one accident. I put the Gerber vinyl pants on over his underwear and it contained the pee so well that I didn't even know he had already gone until I was having him try to go. And of course he hadn't told me. But it's the first accident and it's only been half a day. We're in progress...

No comments: